Tuesday 11 March 2014

How to do Riyaaz (Vocal Practice)

This post is about learning different ways of Vocal practice. In Indian classical music it is known as “Riyaaz”. It helps to enhance texture, quality & modulation of your voice.

OM Chanting
OM chanting should be done at least for 15 minutes every day before starting Riyaaz. It calms your mind & helps to focus. It rejuvenates of your body & improves your grasping power. It also helps to harmonize the breathing pattern, which is useful in singing especially Indian Classical Ragas. Watch this video to learn OM chanting.



Hit the bass note first
It is essential to begin your Riyaaz with bass notes. It brings harmony to connect you with Sur. It is the best way to relax your throat muscles & clear your throat. It is advisable not to initiate your Riyaaz with high notes. This will adversely affect your throat muscles. As, singing high notes generally put more strain on your throat.

Sing & play
Riyaaz along with playing harmonium immensely enhances your control over voice & rhythm. Practicing various Ragas on harmonium remarkably increase your grip over Sur & Laya.  Synchronization of your voice with musical note of harmonium improves your ability to learn the Raga faster.


Schedule a time for Riyaaz
It is essential to schedule a time for doing Riyaaz. It is advisable by many ustaad (Maestros) to do Riyaaz early in morning on daily basis. There are certain Ragas, for which their time of practising is fixed. For example, Raga Khamaj should be practised at evening time. Generally, 2-3 hours of Riyaaz at a stretch is sufficient; beyond the limit can harm your vocal cords & may result into swelling of tonsils. Look at the Raga wheel which indicates timing of Ragas to be Practised.



Keep posting your comments & deliver your feedback. Feel free to share.

13 comments:

  1. Wow.... Such a nice post.
    I always had many questions regarding riyaaz... and I wasn't able to find perfect answer for those questions. Here I got most of the answers.

    Thanks for such a great Post. Keep Posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post and very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post and very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amar Beta. Arjun Dhawan, age 79, fond of old Hindi film songs, of which I know and sing in 100s, need your help. I am a good singer, covering Saigal, Mukesh, Rafi, Talat, Lata,Noor Jehan, Mehdi Hasan, Jagjit and many more.
    I have lot of time, have purchased a high quality Casio with 25 Indian Rythms.
    I like to sing, by starting my Casio, having suitable Rhythm for a song and keep on singing, for my pleasure.
    I need help. How to find and determine what suitable Rythm will be best for song of my choice?
    I will appreciate your guidance. My Cell No. 9819861138, Cuffe Parade. Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. use metronome uncle
      in metronome u can sing any rythm u want.

      Delete
  5. It's good to see that our sanskriti is still alive in youth.. Good job dude..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see that our sanskriti is still alive in youth.. Good job dude..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    best-vocal-processor

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is in detail "-

    https://www.amitdevyan.com/2019/04/indian-classical-music-riyaz.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I am ruchi from Delhi. I need some guidance in singing. I mean when I sing, I go flat somewhere. How to sing breathlessly? High notes and low notes are not in place. This is my profile. https://www.talentrack.in/talent/talentportfolio/uid/7c177b9b71c471ae56dc4649c6ca13c4?trk=srlyr_cp

      Delete
  9. Reply me at ruchibatra38@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Riyaaz should be always supported with Taanpura and Harmonium should be strictly avoided.

    ReplyDelete